Friday 20 June 2014

Mind the Gap.

So, I am currently seeking the best ways to drop some kgs. I've sadly accumulated these over the festive season and struggled to be rid of them ever since. Why is it so easy to stack on the weight? I just have to look at food dammit and it happens. Then it seems to be such damn hard work and commitment to lose even 1kg!?
 
Now I am 160cm tall, (158cm if I’m honest but I like to round it up!) and I've never been blessed with 'Giselle-like' legs but,  I have noticed that I have started to waddle a bit when I walk, not to mention the chafe on the hot summer days!  Waddling is fine for ducks and heavily pregnant women but certainly, under no circumstances, is it fine for me!
 
 I’m too scared to try on my skinny leg jeans, and feel it would be mean to the public to expose them to that sight.  Luckily, with summer, loose dresses i.e. muumuus, were acceptable.  But, now that winter has arrived in full force pants have become a necessity.

 I am certainly not looking to achieve ‘the gap’ that seems to be the going 'thinspo' craze at the moment. No, I am merely looking to up the exercise and eat healthier to lose those kgs. This will be a log of my pursuit to lose my waddle and get my strut back….

I've started an intensive 12 week challenge where I hope to burpee, run, skip, lunge and squat my way to waddle free legs and leaner, fitter me.  This does include a Personal training session a week, plus bootcamps and professional food advice.
 

 
This is the exercise I love. I can commit to getting my ass to the gym and pushing myself hard.  Getting out of a warm and cosy bed, putting on my gym clothes and bracing the freezing cold outside is a challenge.  It’s not as hard as forgoing my love of all my vices.

 
 
What to eat, when to eat it and how much to eat...portion control, is a big challenge for me. When it's cold, all I can think of is comfort food.   I have decided that organization is the key to success. I have trawled Pinterest  (my heaven) for delicious healthy meals, of which there's thousands. If only I had a sous chef to help with all of the chopping and food prep.  It’s so hard to motivate myself to spend 1/2 hour chopping healthy vegetables when I could just have grilled tomato and cheese! 
 

On to my biggest vice….cheese.  It’s fair to say that I am addicted in the worst way.   I have cheese for lunch, dinner and snacks in between.  I add cheese to every salad I make. I encourage my girls to have toasted sandwiches for breakfast, just so I can eat their delicious cheese toasted crusts (wait did I just admit to that!?) My personal trainer has tried to enforce a no cheese rule for me so, I am cutting back (total cold turkey is not an option unfortunately), and as all the good health/diet advice always goes; to deprive yourself of your favourite foods is a disaster. Think midnight cheese binges! 

So I have committed to only 3 meals a week with cheese, the rest need to be healthy vegetable options with protein from beans and legumes.  I'm going to try and give up alcohol for July, which is going to be tough. I'm already craving a glass of wine just thinking about it. I'm introducing green smoothies (hopefully they taste better than they look) for breakfast. I'm (sigh) giving up bread and (sob) chocolate!  It’s time to buy a new wok, the last one is rusty from lack of use, and dust up on my stir fry skills.  Either that or cook up a massive amount of soup and alternate between the two.

Wish me luck!  I will keep you posted with my progress, recipes, work outs and what I am using to keep me motivated.......
 
Images from Pinterest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment