Friday 20 June 2014

It's my Party....

So, I recently had an event, my birthday to be exact, and although it was just dinner with my husband and another couple, I wanted to look as good as possible. About a week out from the dinner (there's nothing like leaving things until the last minute) I decided that my outfit needed to consist of some awesome black, dressy, drop crotch pants. I had seen some on Tash from 'TheyAllHateUs' and thought they looked the right amount of funky cool and edgy that I needed to top off my outfit.  The only problem was finding the perfect pair, the holy grail of drop crotch pants (cue angels singing now).

Then I found what I thought was the perfect pair and luckily they were from an Australian company so they would arrive just in time for my big night out (as a mom of 2 and self confessed hermit dinner qualifies as a big night out in my books.)  Big sigh of relief!  I envisioned the whole outfit together and I looked hot, if I do say so myself.  And then the pants arrived.  Now usually I don't try things on.  I like to leave new purchases nicely wrapped up in their bag until I decide to wear them, stowed safely out of sight so nobody knows I have bought anything new.  On this day though I decided to be cautious and quickly try the pants on and thank god I did!  They looked terrible and were too tight.

And that's when I went into full panic mode!  How was it possible that my outfit didn't look as good in real life as it did in my imagination????  And then I realised that this is a common problem with me.  I have this wonderful idea but can't get it to convert to reality.  And why is this you ask.....well, it's because when I envision my outfit I envision what I wish I looked like: my 6ft, lithe limbed, flat tummy, high cheek boned, flowing locks self and, in reality, I am 5ft2" with a little weight issue lacking both a flat tummy and high cheekbones!  Any wonder when I try the clothes on, in reality, they don't reach par!

So not only am I now desperately searching for a new pair of pants but I am also dealing with the letdown of not looking like a model!  After many, many hours desperately searching the internet for a replacement pair and,  trying every store close by, I decided maybe it was time to try a different tack.  Find a new top and wear pants I already had that fit me, without having to do any last minute exercise regimen to fit into.  And so began the search for a simple loose silk tank top.  I would've thought this to be an easy thing to find, and I am sure that not so long ago I saw such a top in every store that I walked into but to my huge disappointment I could not find one of these anywhere!

D day arrives and I am topless and pantless and feeling down in the dumps about my big night out. Then I do a final search in a local boutique and jackpot!!!!!  Black, drop crotch pants found!  Not as dressy a fabric as I was hoping for but... they fit perfectly and didn't cost a bomb, so I will be able to afford a dressier pair now that I am not on a strict timeline.

I throw my outfit together once I have my make up on and my hair braided by a friend, god bless friends everywhere, particularly those good at difficult hair styles, and I have to admit, though I look far from a model, my 5ft2" self looks pretty good!  Crisis averted now bring on the birthday cocktails!

Here's my the key pieces of my outfit and some alternative drop crotch pants.....

1

2
 
3
 
4
 
 
5

6

7

 

 

Images sourced from:
1. Bassike
2. Mister Zimi
3. One Teaspoon
4. Loft
5. Bassike
6.One Teaspoon
7. One Teaspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment